In April 2020 we reported on the release of the report "Wealth Windfalls, Tumbling Taxes, and Pandemic Profiteers” from Institute for Policy Studies. That study showed that between January 1, 2020 and April 10, 2020, 34 of the nation’s wealthiest 170 billionaires saw their wealth increase by tens of millions of dollars. Now, in an update to that report, the Institute for Policy Studies has released new figures that show that during the pandemic — while unemployment ...
- May 28, 2020
Many economists believe that a recession is already underway. So do millions of Americans struggling with bills and job losses. While the world has certainly experienced its share of staggering jolts in the past, this cycle of events is likely to prove unparalleled.
- August 10, 2017Louis Uchitelle argues that manufacturing should be a subsidized activity with social obligations.
- March 30, 2017Unemployment, depopulation and the legacy of slavery in Jefferson County, Mississippi.
- February 23, 2017If Democrats want to retake government, they will need to do more than be the party that isn’t as bad as Trump, starting with closing the wealth gap.
- April 7, 2016Bill's friend and former colleague, Ervin Duggan, calls the book "serious, searingly witty, passionate, thoughtful and fiendishly well-written."
- May 12, 2015It's obvious that Obama's trade deal is a step towards locking in large trade deficits and high unemployment. So no one should be surprised if working people oppose this deal.