On December 21, Congress passed the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, a $2.3 trillion bill that pulled together a number of different pieces of legislation, including a $900 billion coronavirus relief bill and a $1.4 trillion appropriations bill (which included 12 separate annual appropriations bills). Today’s news is that Trump is refusing to sign the bill into law.
- April 3, 2017Legislation passed this week would enrich a private contractor while throwing people off public assistance.
- March 20, 2017Many immigrants are secluding themselves in fear of deportation.
- August 24, 2016One of Bill Clinton's signature achievements has a troubling legacy.
- September 3, 2015A new book out this week traces a disturbing trend in extreme poverty to the 1996 law, which has gradually but inexorably gutted the cash assistance safety net for families with children.
- January 31, 2015Advocates argue that to continue progress, civil legal aid must be deployed more broadly in future efforts to combat poverty.
- January 28, 2015These policies could be pursued immediately, improving the lives and futures of millions of children and eventually saving taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars annually.