The COVID-19 pandemic creates universal death anxiety. We cannot see or touch or smell the virus that has now killed 500,000 Americans. It is everywhere and nowhere—making its lethal, invisible contamination seem almost a supernatural force.
- February 3, 2021Marjorie Taylor Greene, facemasks, extreme sports and Reddit/Gamestock.
- January 25, 2021
Selections from essays published in the Dangerous Case of Donald Trump.
- January 14, 2021
Four years ago, Dr. Lee felt a duty to warn the country about dangerous possibilities stemming from a man who lacked the mental fitness to be president, breaking the "Goldwater Rule."
- May 16, 2020At many critical junctures in our history Bill Moyers has talked with distinguished scholar and psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton. Together they try to piece together a fracturing world.
- April 8, 2020Whitman would be proud of the people of Mill Valley, California, and their new nightly ritual of communal howling at each other out of their windows.
- March 14, 2020
The tendency of Republicans both to respond to and sow fear and panic has been with us for decades. Yet during the coronavirus pandemic, to anyone who bothers to look, we are seeing a new and strangely unremarked twist to their behavior, a development that gives valuable -- and chilling -- insight into Republican psychology.
- March 3, 2020Bill talks to psychiatrist and author Robert Jay Lifton about Trump, lies and dueling realities. “It’s a kind of purity of a single authoritarian person who claims to have nobility and claims that he alone and no one else can save the country. And by implication, the world. It’s pure megalomania,” Lifton says.
- September 21, 2017The renowned psychiatrist and historian makes a case for hope for humanity's grasp of the dangers of climate change.