Slavery is our nation’s original sin; the treatment of people of color a blot on the history of a country “conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” Those who might have thought that … Continue reading
- December 8, 2015
- November 25, 2015Ex-felons who have served their time in the state will regain their right to participate in elections without having to wait for governor approval.
- November 5, 2015Every Tuesday members of Congress will spotlight stories of modern-day barriers to voting and rally on social media with the hashtag #RestoreTheVOTE & #RestorationTuesday.
- September 28, 2015The senator spoke at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate last night about what Martin Luther King, Jr. called "the inseparable twin of racial injustice" -- economic injustice.
- August 18, 2015The civil rights leader helped pass the Voting Rights Act and fought for voting rights over five decades.
- August 4, 2015Our democracy is threatened when voting becomes a wedge issue between the parties.
- July 31, 2015 | Updated December 12, 2015A botched voter purge prevented thousands from voting — and empowered a new generation of voting-rights critics.
- May 27, 2015Fifty years ago, African-Americans were denied the right to vote. Now the vast majority of Americans are being denied the rightful value of their vote.