This post first appeared on TomDispatch Joe Biden’s got a problem — and so do I. And so, in fact, do we. At 76 years old, you’d think I’d experienced it all when it comes to this country and its presidencies. Or most of it, anyway. I’ve been around since Franklin D. Roosevelt was president. Born on July 20, 1944, I’m a little “young” to remember him, though I was a war baby in an era when ...
- July 18, 2020
July 17, 2020 Tonight, just before midnight, we heard the news that 80-year-old Georgia Representative John Lewis has passed away from pancreatic cancer. As a young adult, Lewis was a “troublemaker,” breaking the laws of his state: he broke the laws upholding racial segregation. He organized voting registration drives and in 1960 was one of the thirteen original Freedom Riders, white and black students traveling together from Washington D.C. to New Orleans to challenge segregation. “It was ...
- August 18, 2017Host Lawrence O'Donnell calls our Trump-Russia timeline "the greatest tool that we journalists have."
- August 16, 2017Three historians weigh in on where in America's past President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans might take us. #MAGA is a time machine with several stops. Take our guided tour.
- August 4, 2017Listen to the full interview with Terry Gross.
- July 30, 2017Yes, our health system is broken, but broken systems can be fixed — not easily, but they can be fixed.
- January 10, 2017From Herbert Brownell to Robert F. Kennedy to Loretta Lynch, attorneys general have upheld the law and fought for justice. Would Sessions?