A Facebook member responded to our recent post Bill Moyers and Steve Harper on Lawyers, Liars and Trump on Trial with a question: Bill Moyers responds: I don’t know what in particular Joseph Campbell would say about our situation today. But I can imagine him lamenting, as he did when we talked some 30 years ago, our failure “to admit within ourselves the carnivorous, lecherous fever that is endemic to human nature.” Malevolent greed was on ...
- February 11, 2020
- April 25, 2017Poet Jim Haba rounds out our civic poetry month.
- April 24, 2017Civic poetry month curator Kyle Dargan in an online exclusive.
- April 3, 2017Democracy needs her poets, in all their diversity, precisely because our hope for survival is in recognizing the reality of one another’s lives.
- December 16, 2016This election brought back the scourge of authoritarianism in the toxic language of hate, humiliation and bigotry — and in the culture of war and violence.
- November 22, 2013Henry Giroux writes that the "raging narcissism that seems to shape every ad, film, television program and appeal ... is the basis for a new kind of mass illiteracy."
- April 1, 1990West talks about his varied career.