ALL POSTS BY Ari Berman
- May 27, 2015Fifty years ago, African-Americans were denied the right to vote. Now the vast majority of Americans are being denied the rightful value of their vote.
- May 4, 2015In Maryland, a bill awaits the signature of Gov. Larry Hogan that would restore voting rights to nearly 40,000 ex-felons, and would be particularly beneficial to African Americans.
- March 9, 2015President Obama and hundreds of politicians marched in Selma this weekend. Will the experience convince more members of Congress to support the Voting Rights Amendment Act?
- March 6, 2015Despite some improvements, the right to vote is under the most sustained attack since the passage of the VRA.
- March 2, 2015The Nation's Ari Berman writes that racism, segregation and inequality persist in this civil-rights battleground.
- February 20, 2015On the 50th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday," activists gathered in Marion, Alabama, to honor and commemorate those who died fighting for equality and justice.
- November 7, 2014Since Republican legislatures implemented new voting restrictions after 2010 and SCOTUS gutted the Voting Rights Act, it’s become easier to buy an election and harder to vote in one.
- October 22, 2014With the Supreme Court's latest ruling, Texans' civil liberties are once again under attack.