- July 23, 2020
Restrictive “voter identification” laws pushed by Republicans, and widely regarded to be ineffective and discriminatory, have cost taxpayers at least $36m in just a few states.
- July 21, 2020The department’s limited public activity has been striking, particularly as several states have seen voters wait hours in line to vote and jurisdictions are rapidly limiting in-person voting options because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- July 8, 2020
The effort comes as voter registration efforts, both in Texas and around the US have effectively stalled just months before the presidential election.
- July 7, 2020
The ruling reinstates a Republican-backed law that allows local election officials to offer only two weeks of early voting before election day.
- June 11, 2020
Thousands of Georgians had their registrations put on hold and weren’t sure if they’d be able to vote. Some voters were wrongly flagged as non-citizens; others had their ballots rejected because poll workers told them they had the wrong ID. Hundreds of polling places were shuttered before the election, and other precincts had four-hour lines. Absentee ballots were rejected because of signature mismatches or other minor errors.
- April 8, 2020Voting rights. The Republican Party “would rather try to keep people from voting than lose,” David Daley tells Bill. Daley is a reporter who has written extensively about gerrymandering and voting rights — and fired up a generation of activists fighting for free and fair elections.
- October 24, 2017And possibly handed him the whole election.
- August 4, 2015Our democracy is threatened when voting becomes a wedge issue between the parties.
- November 5, 2014A quick look at the numbers shows that in several key races the margin of victory came very close to the likely margin of disenfranchisement.