- February 17, 2021The heart of the threat to American democracy.
- October 30, 2020
Democrats have learned this time that they need to compete hard here, to take advantage of demographic and voter sentiment changes (particularly in the suburbs) and win big in state legislatures, to either block unilateral Republican crafting of the maps or gain the power themselves.
- August 25, 2020
The tone of the 2020 ODIHR report reflects far more alarm than in 2016, and notes that only some of its recommendations for improvements in the US electoral system have been acted on.
- May 15, 2020In Slay the Dragon, a new documentary from Participant Media, we learn how a secret Republican project called REDMAP redrew congressional districts and guaranteed victory.
- May 13, 2020New techniques in districting allow legislators to essentially pick their voters, instead of the other way around. And in 2010, Republicans in several states redrew maps that guaranteed victory.
- May 11, 2020It has been a long held tradition in American politics that every 10 years, the party in control of state houses would use gerrymandering to redraw districts in their favor for the next election. But in 2010, something different happened.
- April 8, 2020Voting rights. The Republican Party “would rather try to keep people from voting than lose,” David Daley tells Bill. Daley is a reporter who has written extensively about gerrymandering and voting rights — and fired up a generation of activists fighting for free and fair elections.
- November 10, 2017The success of these contests at every level are nothing short of a rallying cry for Democrats, and a warning shot for Republicans everywhere.