The tone of the 2020 ODIHR report reflects far more alarm than in 2016, and notes that only some of its recommendations for improvements in the US electoral system have been acted on.
- May 15, 2020In Slay the Dragon, a new documentary from Participant Media, we learn how a secret Republican project called REDMAP redrew congressional districts and guaranteed victory.
- May 13, 2020New techniques in districting allow legislators to essentially pick their voters, instead of the other way around. And in 2010, Republicans in several states redrew maps that guaranteed victory.
- May 11, 2020It has been a long held tradition in American politics that every 10 years, the party in control of state houses would use gerrymandering to redraw districts in their favor for the next election. But in 2010, something different happened.
- April 8, 2020Voting rights. The Republican Party “would rather try to keep people from voting than lose,” David Daley tells Bill. Daley is a reporter who has written extensively about gerrymandering and voting rights — and fired up a generation of activists fighting for free and fair elections.
- November 10, 2017The success of these contests at every level are nothing short of a rallying cry for Democrats, and a warning shot for Republicans everywhere.
- October 20, 2017In a new case, the Court has the power to end extreme partisan gerrymandering before 2020. But what if it doesn't?
- October 2, 2017Justice Anthony Kennedy could provide the deciding vote in Gill v. Whitford, an upcoming case that looks at gerrymandering in Wisconsin. Oral arguments begin Tuesday.