Adam Domby, an award-winning historian and specialist on the Civil War and Reconstruction, examines the role of lies and exaggeration in the Lost Cause narratives and their celebration of white supremacy in his timely and groundbreaking new book The False Cause: Fraud, Fabrication, and White Supremacy in Confederate Memory (University of Virginia Press, 2020). Members of the Minneapolis Police Department killed George Floyd, a 46-year-old African American man, on May 25, 2020. The shockingly brutal 8 minute and 46 ...
- July 30, 2020Yes, the Civil War brought an end to the slave order of the South and the rule of the plantation oligarchs who embodied white supremacy. But the Northern victory was short lived — Southern ideals spread quickly to the West. It's all about America’s ongoing battle between oligarchy and democracy.
- September 15, 2017The organizers, activists, artists, writers, athletes, judges and occasional elected officials who fought to make the United States a more humane and inclusive country often go unacknowledged.
- August 18, 2017Host Lawrence O'Donnell calls our Trump-Russia timeline "the greatest tool that we journalists have."
- August 18, 2017"This white supremacist thinking is institutionalized. It is everywhere. In the history, in the workplace. It is part of the anti-union, right-to-work climate."
- May 24, 2017Mitch Landrieu denounces "false narrative of our history" and explains why righting this wrong is vital for his city and the nation.
- June 26, 2015If we want to honor the memory of the Emanuel martyrs, we must continue their struggle for transformative action.