The effect of such climate silence is to imply that the wildfires are random—a stroke of bad luck, perhaps, in an already woefully unlucky year. But we know better than this. We know that we humans are causing disasters like this. And we know that we can solve the climate crisis, should we muster the political will to do so.
- September 12, 2020
Today is the nineteenth anniversary of the terrorist attack that killed almost 3000 of us on this date in 2001. It feels wrong to write about daily news today and yet, as we approach 200,000 dead from a mismanaged pandemic and face unprecedented assaults on our national government, it also feels wrong not to.
- April 8, 2020Whitman would be proud of the people of Mill Valley, California, and their new nightly ritual of communal howling at each other out of their windows.
- August 22, 2017With an average of two chapters in every congressional district, Indivisible has become a force to be reckoned with – and Congress is taking notice.
- March 16, 2017How the Golden State went green.
- February 24, 2017For hundreds of families, home is a car in a quiet parking lot.
- February 17, 2017This week's installment in our series in which we regularly point you to some of the best investigative reporting you might otherwise miss.