- October 7, 2016Strengthening democracy is the key to all other reforms.
- September 2, 2014This week, the state with the strictest voter ID law defends it in federal court.
- August 10, 2014For the first time in nearly 50 years, Americans will go to the polls without a key protection under the Voting Rights Act. Congress must act to ensure every citizen can freely cast a ballot.
- July 10, 2014The state's recent election-law overhaul stripped away more than a decade’s worth of reforms that had dramatically increased ballot access for African-Americans.
- June 26, 2014Since Barack Obama’s election, GOP-controlled states have embarked on the most significant effort to restrict access to the ballot since Reconstruction.
- June 25, 2014Think voting discrimination is largely a thing of the past? Think again.
- July 1, 2013 | Group Think
The Supreme Court’s decision in Shelby County v. Holder is a setback for democracy -- especially at the local level. Overwhelming evidence shows that too many politicians continue to win elections by unfairly manipulating election rules based on how voters look or talk. The Court’s decision makes this problem worse. The biggest problem will be the manipulation of election rules for local offices that are often non-partisan and escape national attention. In Nueces County, Texas, for ...
- June 27, 2013 | Group ThinkThe Court has left room for remedial action by striking down only Section 4. Congress could broaden coverage through new criteria under a rewritten Section.