The summer of unrest sharpens the nation’s attention to issues of racial justice.
- November 8, 2017Russian fake news infiltrated our social-media feeds, and our own willful ignorance is to blame.
- May 11, 2017Trump's naked contempt for civic culture is what's really threatening our republic. To save it, we need to rescue our civic wellsprings.
- December 20, 2016Do we need a new Schoolhouse Rock! to remind us how to run a democracy?
- November 29, 2016There is still hope for the rise of more local publications to report the local issues with integrity.
- November 16, 2016Our media is strangling our democracy, and without a course correction it will only get worse.
- November 9, 2016Both parties are to blame and it has cost all of us a republic.
- October 26, 2016A Chicago journalist turned teacher talks about the struggle to teach young people about their government — and why she's hopeful.
- October 21, 2016A growing number of Americans have had their eyes opened to the reality of American politics. That’s the one positive legacy Trump is likely to leave.
- April 20, 2016The gutter-level of this year's campaign rhetoric is dragging all of us down — and that includes America's children.