ALL POSTS BY Mark Hertsgaard
- January 7, 2021With climate action finally on the table, journalists must redouble their commitment to the climate story.
- December 16, 2020
Journalists and news executives in charge of newspapers, TV and radio programs, and social media platforms seen and heard by billions of people need to tackle the climate emergency.
- Humanity Faces Climate “Suicide” Without US Rejoining Paris Agreement, Says the UN Secretary GeneralDecember 2, 2020Joining China and other big polluters, Biden’s pledge of “net zero” US emissions by 2050 brings the Paris Agreement goals “within reach”
- November 12, 2020
Donald Trump’s defeat in the US presidential election is the biggest development in the climate story in years, if only because it means that the story might not have a hellish ending after all.
- July 7, 2020
Only after the work of covering the disaster is done will news outlets perhaps take a moment to examine why all this is happening—why these disasters are occurring, again and again, all over the world, with increased frequency and ferocity.
- June 29, 2020
To Sunrise Movement cofounder Varshini Prakash and her fellow activists, the fight for a livable planet and the fight against racial injustice are the very same fight.
- December 12, 2017The fires and storms ravaging the planet are only going to get worse, especially if we don’t end the power of climate deniers.
- August 10, 2017As tensions with North Korea escalate, Congress and the military must prevent a nuclear first strike.
- June 2, 2017This is murder — even if Trump’s willful ignorance of climate science prevents him from seeing it as such.