"I never expected that I would be writing about the needless deaths of almost 100,000 of our countrymen, rapidly approaching the number who died in wars from Korea to Afghanistan combined. It is bitterly appropriate that we should reach that grim milestone on this particular weekend." (Robert Edwards was formerly an infantry and intelligence officer in the US Army and a captain in the 82nd Airborne in Iraq during the first Gulf War.)
- May 22, 2020
- June 10, 2016Most Americans have no personal connection to US fighting overseas or the brutal fullness of war — and thus don't engage with veterans' issues or the idea of future conflict.
- May 30, 2016The threat to the Constitution does not come from some far-off land, says Vets for Peace board chair.
- May 25, 2014The Memorial Day holiday makes the news of abuses and preventable deaths in the veterans medical system even more poignant.
- May 22, 2009 | Updated March 25, 2015Bill reminds us that it's not just remembering that's important on Memorial Day, it's also important how we remember our conflicts and wars.
- May 22, 2009 | Bill Moyers JournalSingle-payer, the health care reform option that isn't being discussed in Washington or mainstream media.
- May 23, 2008Bill Moyers on honoring our veterans this Memorial Day.