- November 12, 2020Originalists believe that all that the original text of the Constitution should stand, as written, in the late 18th century. Originalists often refer to jurists who take the stance that the Constitution is a living document as “activist” judges.
- October 2, 2020
On this week's MOYERS ON DEMOCRACY, Bill Moyers speaks to Lisa Graves about what's at stake in rushing Amy Coney Barrett's nomination through the Senate. Barrett is a young judge who has been nominated with the understanding that Republicans are looking for her to cast a vote for Trump from the bench.
- July 3, 2020
Jeffrey Epstein’s associate Ghislaine Maxwell was just arrested. Epstein was a super-shady socialite and convicted sex offender, Maxwell was his socialite companion, and had been rumored to procure and groom young girls for Epstein and his friends. It appears there may be a political angle to Maxwell’s arrest. Epstein entertained important people at his parties, including a number of men in Trump’s circle, as well as Trump himself.
- March 22, 2020Stacking the Courts. Supreme Court watcher and podcaster Dahlia Lithwick tells Bill, “This is happening almost in the dark of night... There is this stealth attack on government agencies and their ability to regulate themselves. It is happening at the U.S. Supreme Court under our noses.”
- August 25, 2017The president is moving at a rapid clip to put ideological allies on the bench.
- February 2, 2017Our system of checks and balances made it possible for the judiciary to push back this weekend.
- December 24, 2013A roundup of some of the stories we're reading this morning at Moyers & Company HQ...