This post first appeared on TomDispatch Joe Biden’s got a problem — and so do I. And so, in fact, do we. At 76 years old, you’d think I’d experienced it all when it comes to this country and its presidencies. Or most of it, anyway. I’ve been around since Franklin D. Roosevelt was president. Born on July 20, 1944, I’m a little “young” to remember him, though I was a war baby in an era when ...
- March 1, 2017The president’s address signaled his plans for domestic austerity and military bloat.
- March 25, 2016The Republican front-runner is against nation building. Imagine that.
- November 17, 2015Past Republican presidents were repeatedly invoked as policy models by the Democratic candidates, highlighting today's GOP's lurch to the right.
- July 3, 2014Securing state power from the domestic population and securing concentrated private power are driving forces in policy formation.
- May 23, 2014Like the New Deal before it, the Great Society changed the way Americans thought about the relationship of the government to the economy.