- Robert Reich Explains Why Paul Ryan's Agenda is Terrible
The former labor secretary runs down the "dumb ideas" Ryan clings to including tax relief for the rich, Medicaid block grants for the states, Medicare vouchers for seniors and slashing the safety net.
- The Second Amendment Was Never Meant to Protect an Individual’s Right to a Gun
How the Roberts Court upended the well-established meaning of the Second Amendment.
- The Folly of World War IV
Wars are never quick, cheap or easy: let's acknowledge what a full-scale war in the Middle East would actually mean.
- The Legislator(s) Who Sold Out New York
Zephyr Teachout writes that while the state Assembly speaker has been convicted of corruption, he's only a small piece of New York's dishonorable system.
- Dead, White and Blue
The rising mortality rates among blue-collar whites could be a canary in the coal mine: Things are getting tougher for all working people, writes Barbara Ehrenreich.
- The American Hunger Games: The Top Republican Candidates Take Economic Policy Into the Wilderness
The list of Republicans running for president is just too long. Perhaps what’s needed is an American Hunger Games to cut the field to size.
- Don't Let Wall Street Get Away With Reform Rollbacks
Members of Congress shouldn’t fall for these tactics. They should see these provisions for what they really are: special interest giveaways to Wall Street that have no place in this year's appropriations bill.
- Corruption Is as Bad in the US as in Developing Countries
Living in America sometimes resembles taking part in a Ponzi scheme, and its likely to get worse before it gets better.
- The Big Idea That Could Bring Disaffected Voters Back to the Polls
Bernie Sanders has a plan to expand, not “save,” Social Security — and it should be popular.