- January 20, 2016In his new book Plutocrats United, election law scholar Rick Hasen argues that the problem isn't that politicians are corrupted by special interests — it's that they have no incentive to pay attention to anyone but the rich.
- January 12, 2016It can be discouraging to realize that it often takes decades to overturn a Supreme Court decision, but one campaign finance reformer says the good news is that we're already 40 years into that struggle.
- January 12, 2016In a Q&A, veteran campaign finance reformer Derek Cressman says Americans are becoming increasingly aware that something has to change about the growing amount of money in politics.
- January 6, 2016The California Supreme Court has cleared the way for voters to demand a constitutional amendment to get big money out of politics.
- November 27, 2015Living in America sometimes resembles taking part in a Ponzi scheme, and its likely to get worse before it gets better.
- November 3, 2015Money in politics is actually a nonpartisan issue on which all Americans agree: The system isn't working.
- August 4, 2015
The most destructive influence on American democracy is the way in which we have allowed big money to buy our government and politics. With such Supreme Court decisions as Citizens United and McCutcheon, we have unleashed a tidal wave of cash – much of it anonymous and without limit – to all but drown out the voice of the people. In this collection of conversations, commentary and articles, we present the evidence of how deeply ...