America has the highest incarceration rate of any nation, with almost 25 percent of the world’s prisoners. Statistically, nearly one in 100 Americans is doing time, and, according to the prison reform group, The Sentencing Project, “More than 60% of … Continue reading
- December 8, 2015
- November 25, 2015Ex-felons who have served their time in the state will regain their right to participate in elections without having to wait for governor approval.
- November 5, 2015Every Tuesday members of Congress will spotlight stories of modern-day barriers to voting and rally on social media with the hashtag #RestoreTheVOTE & #RestorationTuesday.
- September 28, 2015The senator spoke at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate last night about what Martin Luther King, Jr. called "the inseparable twin of racial injustice" -- economic injustice.
- August 18, 2015The civil rights leader helped pass the Voting Rights Act and fought for voting rights over five decades.
- August 4, 2015Our democracy is threatened when voting becomes a wedge issue between the parties.
- July 31, 2015 | Updated December 12, 2015A botched voter purge prevented thousands from voting — and empowered a new generation of voting-rights critics.
- May 27, 2015Fifty years ago, African-Americans were denied the right to vote. Now the vast majority of Americans are being denied the rightful value of their vote.
- May 6, 2015We've reached a point in history where we have the need, opportunity and energy to create an economy that works for our families — now we need to act!